Monday, November 9, 2009

MEMORY BOX MONDAY


I have the most special posting this Monday about what is special in my memory box. When I was in 5th grade, it was such an exciting time as the Cabbage Patch dolls were storming the retail shops. My parents would wait in line for hours to get my sisters and I a doll, only to finally get told they had sold out for more money then my parents had to spend. I remember friends had their dolls before I did and it seemed so agonizing for the wait, but we were raised to be thankful and appreciative of what we had, so I never (remember) once whining to my parents about not having the most beautiful doll in the world. I can remember, not only did my mom want to get my two sisters and I a doll but she was particular on wanting the doll to resemble our hair color and facial features.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity my mom was able to find me a doll. I think she paid over $350 for this doll. I know she knew how much I loved my new doll, because I carried her everywhere with me, even getting a Cabbage Patch Horse for it eventually. It was by far the most special gift every purchased for me by my parents as a child.

I began the search for Jie a Cabbage Patch doll when we first made the decision to adopt and accepted her into our lives. I searched for almost two years when last Christmas I finally found the perfect doll for her.....it doesn't have her hair color, or resemble her in any way, but the reason I chose her baby doll was because it has Jie's exact Birthday of January 8th and it was wearing the EXACT same outfit as the doll my parents had purchased for me 25 years ago.

I couldn't believe how happy it made me and how perfect this Cabbage Doll was when I finally found it. Jie loves that we both have a doll with the same clothes on. My dolls name is Cicile Farrika and Jie's baby dolls name is Imogene Jessica. I will forever remember and keep these dolls in my heart. I wasn't really a doll girl when I was growing up, but my cabbage patch doll was the most special gift I carried on from my child hood and knew I wanted to give Jie something as special. Jie's doll baby is the one on the left and mine is the one on the right with blonde hair.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Cecili looks great for how old she is!! jk! What a great find for Jie. I'm sure she will cherish it forever. Molly has a Cabbage Patch. It was given to her from my cousin and his wife (her idea). They ordered it from the company with her name and birthdate and it is Asian. I don't dare take it from the box. Both girls have a newborn CP. They are so cute.

Jean said...

They are so cute!! We bought our older children cabbage patch dolls when they were little. I remember nursing Billy while Matt and Katie nursed their cabbage patch dolls!! We still have them! Very special memories!!

Tammy said...

Did you know you can order a CPK from Babylandgeneral.com with Asian features? You can also pay an extra fee & get a personalized birth certificate. You can name it what you want & pick a birth date!! I got one for my friends little girl.